Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pie Makes Everything Better


Sometimes life calls for pie, lots and lots of pie. Last Friday, I was laid off from my job. It's unfortunate, but I'm taking it as motivation to move on to something bigger and better. When I came home, I told my husband, "I want to make a pie tonight, and I want to eat the whole thing." I didn't make it quite that far -- a piece or two was enough to make the world seem like a happier place. It's the little things.

My mom found this recipe years ago in an issue of Bon Appetit. It comes from the Double Musky Inn, a Cajun-style restaurant in Alaska. Love that. The crust is rather unusual (saltines?!), but tasty and a nice contrast to the decadent chocolate filling. It's a good one.

Double Musky Pie
Recipe courtesy of Double Musky Innid=

Crust
3 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
30 saltine crackers, ground to fine crumbs
1 cup of chopped pecans

Filling
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons vanilla

For crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter glass deep dish pie plate. Using electric mixer, beat whites with cream of tartar and salt in large bowl to soft peaks. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Fold in cracker crumbs and pecans. Spoon into prepared pie plate, spreading up sides. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Press down gently against bottom and sides to form a well.

For filling: Melt butter and chocolate. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly, but do not allow chocolate mixture to set. Beat eggs and sugar in medium bowl using electric mixer until slowly dissolving ribbon forms when beaters are lifted, about 3 minutes. Add flour and beat until smooth. Add chocolate mixture and vanilla and beat 1 minute. Pour into crust. Bake until set, about 35 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your job! We'll all be praying for you! There are times when life calls for pie, and usually a healthy scoop of ice cream! Love you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard recently that stressed backwards is desserts, so take it backwards and indulge yourself with pie. Jobs will come and go but life only gets better. And now that I see the Double Musky, I have to make one. Maybe for the
    4th of July Pie? Forget about the fruit pies and cobblers, this one is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With a caption like pie makes everything better, I already know we'll get along just fine !!

    I can't tell you how many issues have been resolved over a slice of pie! Sorry about your job, the shock is the worst part - it gets better from here! You have a world of options open to you now!!


    Vitania

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful pie! I've made that crust before with a lemon filling. I have to say this chocolate filling looks even more tempting. Sorry to hear about your job but I think you are on the right track. Pie is good therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been jumping all over your blog, looking mostly at the food:) This pie looks like a big brownie with an intriguing crust! I'm adding it to my "to bake" list. Thanks! Great blog! I didn't read up, but hopefully you have a new (even better) job by now!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips