Thursday, April 8, 2010

Macaroon Swoon


Last weekend, I tried my hand at macaroons. No, not the fancy French kind, the rustic, chewy, coconutty variety. I was amazed at how simple they were to make, how fast they came together, and how happy they made my taste buds. I kept them in the refrigerator overnight and liked them even more served cold. I also drizzled chocolate over a few to add a little somethin' somethin', but they don't even need it.

Coconut Macaroons
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten

14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 extra-large egg whites at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture. Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using a tablespoon. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Yields about 20 macaroons. Cool and serve. Store in refrigerator.

17 comments:

  1. I think I might just have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now these look irresistable! Thanks for sharing, they're going in my 'have to try' file.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness those look so yum!
    i've never made macaroons but i've always wanted to!! yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! i LOVE coconut and macaroons are one of my favorite treats! they really aren't too bad for you either (for a dessert).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Macaroons definitely make me swoon, always a fan of homemade, but when in doubt, Pasta & Co. has great ones too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have an unusual talent that my parents still talk about to this day. once, when i was little, they gave me a macaroon {knowing i didn't like the texture of coconut}. they couldn't believe that i was able to somehow eat the cookie and afterward, spit out a big wad of coconut.

    i know.

    i've got mad skillz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost licked my computer screen. I've got to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love macaroons. Coconut is the very best. And confession, I've never had the other kind although the blog world is obsessed with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful macaroons. I love coconut desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i made macaroons this week, too! they are so delicious--hooray for coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  11. those look amazing! yum!

    p.s. do this:
    http://lookingformypearl.blogspot.com/2010/03/pretty-please.html

    so i can reply to your comments! instructions are at the bottom of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What gorgeous little gems! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look delightfully chewy and addictive - gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made these but they were so runny. Not sure what I did wrong.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips