Monday, December 1, 2008

Southern Sides: Sweet Potato Casserole


So this is a little late, but I'd like to think I'm just early for next Thanksgiving. By far, the Thanksgiving side I look forward to most is my sweet potatoes. This dish goes by many names, sweet potato casserole, souffle and bake, but no matter what you call it, it's always tasty. I top mine with the brown sugar-pecan mixture as well as miniature marshmallows. I know it's tacky, but I just can't resist. Though some might find it too sweet to sit alongside your turkey and dressing, it's my favorite dish on the plate ... and come on, it's a vegetable.

Sweet Potato Bake
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen

3 cups cooked, peeled and mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup heavy cream, half-and-half, or whole milk

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup miniature marshmallows

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all ingredients for bake except the cream. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Add cream; mix well. Pour into greased casserole dish. For the topping, mix together brown sugar, pecans, flour and butter with fork; sprinkle over top of casserole along with mini marshmallows. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet potatoes are my favorite too! My family does a souffle that's a lot like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my favorite vegetable at our Thanksgiving feast! Thanks for bringing this treat to Seattle...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips