Friday, September 4, 2009

Good Times, Noodle Salad


I'll be bidding farewell to summer this weekend with pulled pork, pasta salad, watermelon, and potentially, an adventure involving the ice cream maker. So this is about pasta, not noodle, salad, but Jack Nicholson's voice got stuck in my head, and I couldn't resist.

If you're hosting or attending a barbecue this weekend, this pasta salad would be an easy and welcome addition. It's light, fresh, and most importantly, summery. Enjoy the holiday weekend!

String Bean, Arugula, and Pasta Salad
Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart Living

4 ounces green beans, trimmed
4 ounces yellow wax beans, trimmed
Coarse salt
1 pound curved, dried pasta, such as conchiglie, orecchiette, or other medium curved shapes
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 ounce pine nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (1/4 cup)
1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, 1/2 ounce finely grated (1/2 cup), 1 ounce shaved with a vegetable peeler (1/2 cup)
1 ounce (1 1/2 cups) baby arugula

Prepare an ice-water bath. Cook green and wax beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to ice-water bath until cool, reserving water in pot. Drain beans, and cut into 2-inch-long pieces. Add pasta to the reserved boiling water, and cook until al dente. Drain and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Transfer chilled pasta to a large serving dish. Whisk lemon zest and juice and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Drizzle over pasta, and toss until well coated. Add beans, pine nuts, and grated Parmesan. Toss until evenly distributed. Just before serving, fold in arugula, and top with shaved Parmesan. Serves 8.

21 comments:

  1. That looks so fresh -- food in Prague has been so heavy, this would be such a nice little change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was gifted in the kitchen because this looks soooo yummy! I might have to casually show the recipe to my boyfriend so he will make it for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally will eat anything with pine nuts! That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds light and fresh= great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi! thank you for stopping by my blog. it is always so fun to see a new face. (well, not really face. more like user-name!) this pasta dish sounds so tasty...mmm mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so yummy! I think I need to try it before summer is officially over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OooOO I bet that is de-lish! Anything Martha...did you make it yet?


    ♡,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, I love arugula in pasta! I'll definitely try this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love a good pasta salad. Anything with pine nuts in it is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always sad to say goodbye to summer but think of all of the fantastic produce autumn brings. Plus it will be soup weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, yum! I'm just a tad addicted to pasta :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, I love a good pasta salad! Happy long weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this salad rocks, thanks for visiting my blog, i love your as well will follow along have a great sunday Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds wonderful. I love the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha ha, yes I am one of the schmucks who clicked over to the JN link. An All Time Favorite movie of mine. Made me giggle about your "Noodle Salad." What a hoot. Seriously, love that there are others who struggle with the close of the summer season, but what a tasty way to enjoy the moments left. Thanks for the great recipe. I look forward to enjoying some Noodle Salad. he he
    AmyRuth

    ReplyDelete
  16. your blog is amazing! love love it!! and that recipe looks delicious... arugula is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great movie! And love the looks of this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. yum- i'll try this this week. looks great

    dallas
    http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. mmm I was actually looking for a way to use up some excess arugula the other day. Too bad I stumbled upon this too late! Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips