Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lovely Lemon Cookies


So last week, I claimed that owning a lemon tree would make life better. Well, I didn't buy a lemon tree, but I made lemon cookies, and yes, I think they made my life just a little better. These cookies are soft, pale, chewy, and have the most delicate lemony flavor. If I were prone to throwing tea parties, I would serve these on every occasion alongside green tea with mint. Thanks to Sarah for leading me to the recipe!

Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis and Food Network

Cookies:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 lemon, zested

Glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 lemon, zested

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In the large bowl combine the butter and the sugar. Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Beat to combine. Stir in the dry ingredients. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon the dough (about 2 tablespoons for each cookie) onto the baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, until slightly golden at the edges. Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 20 minutes.

Combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Spoon about 1/2-teaspoon onto each cookie and use the back of the spoon to gently spread. Let the glaze harden for about 2 hours. Makes about 44 cookies.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my. I'm definitely trying those this weekend. They look delicious! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh these look amazing! I currently can't stop eating cookies...they're just so good in Britain. Hopefully this will stop once I'm out of test stress mode!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, these look scrummy! Bookmarked for the next time I do some baking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those looks so good I think I'm drooling now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look yummy....even though my stomach is currently hurting. good thing these aren't nearby or i'd eat them anyway and probably feel much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm... those look scrumptious... i might have to drop by with my mug and plate.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE lemon cookies! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, those look soo good! I love the idea of putting ricotta in cookies!

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh! These do look lovely! I need to make these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i want one of those cookies! i love lemon pastries!

    happy valentines weekend dear!

    xoxo,
    andyquirks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look wonderful. The idea of ricotta in them is intriguing. Imagine it makes a very moist cookie. Anything lemon is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these look great! i am glad you liked them. makes me want to go whip up a batch right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. im not a huge lemon cookie kinda gal, but you kinda made me wanna try them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love love love lemon flavored cookies! All I gotta say is YUM!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips