Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Gelato Joy

I hope you had a fantastic 4th of July weekend. Mine was filled friends, walks by the water, glasses of iced green tea, multiple hamburgers and this perfect Nutella gelato. After spotting the recipe here, I knew had to try it. It turned out unbelievably creamy and sweet and reached heavenly dessert heights when topped with toasted hazelnuts. Absolutely worthy of long weekend indulging.


Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis and Food Network

2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
4 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, crushed, for garnish

In a saucepan combine the milk, cream, and 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat. Cook until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar using an electric mixer until the eggs have become thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk and cream mixture into the egg mixture and stir. Add this mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 7 to 10 minutes.

Place a strainer over a medium bowl and pour the warm custard mixture through the strainer. Stir in the vanilla and hazelnut spread until it dissolves. (My batch didn't quite want to dissolve, so I ran it through the blender. Problem solved.) Chill mixture completely before pouring into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions to freeze. To serve, scoop gelato into serving bowls and top with toasted hazelnuts. Makes one quart.

23 comments:

  1. I remember eating nutella gelato while walking through Rome with my sweetie.
    I have to make this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This doesn't look too difficult. I bet it will be worth the effort. Thanks for sharing. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! This looks so good... you're pictures are lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! two of my favorite things (nutella and gelato) in one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm, this looks so good! I left you an award on my blog! Come check it out! xoxo

    razzmatazzblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nutella gelato? That's it -- I think you've discovered heaven. And today's so hot, I could use some good gelato...just a truckload or two. Thanks so much for the recipe. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. seriously. yumallicious.


    strumblings = samandlivi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness that looks delicious. I'm going to Italy soon for our honeymoon and I plan on making it a tour of gelato!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that looks and sounds delicious!!! I would love for you to come link up this to my recipe hop at insidebrucrewlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a fabulous weekend! delicious photos :)

    xo Alison

    ReplyDelete
  11. this recipe sounds delicious! we made homemade coffee and chocolate ice cream this weekend ;) we'll have to try this recipe next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE nutella! I wonder if you could alter this for an ice cream maker?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks AMAZING! I so need to buy an ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delish! I eat Nutella with a spoon daily... I am in Savannah for a little vacation and thought of you! Showing some "foreigners" around the city and island and am going to use some of your tips from the magazine, which I loved, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow - yum! I fall in love with everything you post!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are queen!!! Yum Yum Yum!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chocolate hazelnut gelato? You're speakin my language.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are making your own gelato now? You are truly a domestic queen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I cannot believe you make this...that's insane :) It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my goodness. That seriously has to be the best thing ever. I just gave away my ice cream maker, I guess I better get a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I must try this! I have a short list of ice creams I want to try this summer and this one is making it to the list. Thanks for stopping by my blog...Your blog is lovely.

    Elena

    http://planandplay1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips