Friday, March 14, 2014

A Love Letter to New York City


My dear New York,
It's hard to say goodbye. I loved you before we even met -- when I was much too young for you. All it took was a picture of you, hearing "Live from New York!" every Saturday night, even Home Alone 2 made you look good. I was hooked. And when we finally did meet in 2002, I was a naive 18-year-old, but I knew things would be serious right away. You were home for my most formative years. You brought so many amazing experiences, opportunities and people, even my husband, into my life. When I left you the first time, it didn't feel final. I just couldn't quit you, and you kindly welcomed me back after a three-year absence. You were as magical and exciting as ever, but I just couldn't keep up with you anymore, and now seems like the right time to close the chapter on this on-again, off-again love affair. It's not you, it's me. I'll always love you though, New York.

Your wide-eyed admirer,
Natalie

13 comments:

  1. Aw so sweet. Yay for new (southern) adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things must be loved from afar, otherwise they are all consuming! Thanks for giving us that NYC experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could not agree more, and I feel the same way about Paris, my hometown.
      Yet, every time I fly back I fall in love all over again !
      Delphine

      Delete
  3. I will miss your NY posts & fun weekend adventures but I am looking forward to learning all about Austin through your eyes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were blessed to share the charms & challenge of NYC with you & Jonah.....you unlocked secrets of the city we would never have found on our own. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have all enjoyed your NYC experiences and look forward to what Austin brings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a perfect tribute to a wonderful city–and one that will always welcome you back, I'm certain of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw! Love this letter to New York. Hoping you have safe travels and an easy move. (Well--as easy as possible---it's never really "easy" is it? ;))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Closing a door and opening a new one is always so bittersweet and this tribute is beautiful! I can only imagine the difficulty in leaving your life there. Exciting times ahead in the ever wonderful Austin city - a beach town city with a river running through - it will be an exciting place to discover and enjoy I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is a lovely letter to New York ! it is always difficult go away but at the same time it is exciting to taste (find out) a new experience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww :(
    But upward and onward! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This brought tears to my eyes. I can relate so much. My husband and I lived there for 6 months during college, we gave it up to come home and finish school, with intentions of moving back. We moved back again for a while, and have just recently left again. When we left, I blogged to the same effect… I was in love with New York as if I were in love with a man. It beats you down but you defend and love it anyway. As much as you know it's not right, you never want to leave it. It's beautiful and terrifying and perfect and wrong, all at once. So eventually you just have to cut ties and move on. There is life elsewhere, but you never get back that piece of your heart. Sorry for waxing emotional on a Monday morning – this post just really got to me. Best of luck in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a sweet letter! I have no doubt New York is going to miss you too. Best of luck on your Texas adventure!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips