Thursday, August 26, 2010

Key Lime Perfect


Key lime pie is one of those desserts associated with summer, but I could eat it year-round. And this is everything you'd ever want in a key lime pie. Perfectly tangy, creamy and smooth, a crunchy, buttery crust, absolutely delicious. This recipe might just be my new best friend.


Key Lime Pie
Recipe courtesy Joe's Stone Crab Restaurant and Food Network

Graham Cracker Crust:
1/3 of a 1-pound box graham crackers
5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1/3 cup sugar

Filling:
3 egg yolks
2 teaspoons lime zest
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup freshly squeezed Key lime juice, or store bought

Topping:
1 cup heavy or whipping cream chilled
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

For the graham cracker crust:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Break up the graham crackers; place in a food processor and process to crumbs. If you don't have a food processor, place the crackers in a large plastic bag; seal and then crush the crackers with a rolling pin. Add the melted butter and sugar and pulse or stir until combined. Press the mixture into the bottom and side of a pie pan, forming a neat border around the edge. Bake the crust until set and golden, 8 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack; leave the oven on.

For the filling:
Meanwhile, in an electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer. Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice, mixing just until combined, no longer. Pour the mixture into the crust. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the filling has just set. Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate. Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

For the topping:
Whip the cream and the confectioners' sugar until nearly stiff. Cut the pie into wedges and serve very cold, topping each wedge with a large dollop of whipped cream.

22 comments:

  1. You just might be my husband's new best friend, key lime pie is his FAVORITE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. key lime pie is my husband's favorite too! i'm going to print this off and make it for him! :)

    thank you!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love the tartness of lime, this pie is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have no idea how much I love you for this post!! My whole family is OBSESSED with Key Lime pie and I have yet to find a good recipe!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!!! I'd love to try this! Perfect Summer dessert!
    xo tash

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never had it, don't think anyone makes this in Norway. But it looks incredibly good so maybe I should try to make one myself if I can find all the ingredients :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I think I'm going to have to try this out. I don't think I have a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems a little complicated for a beginner like me but looks so amazing I may have to attempt it.

    Thanks for the comment. And lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUMMY!!! I am going to make this for my hubbie as it is his favourite! I never bake for him so it will be a nice surprise... We had this for our pudding on our wedding day, will bring back some lovely memories! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love key lime pie! It's sweet but tart - the perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like key lime pie is everyone's husband's favorite. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Key Lime Pie is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks so delicious! perfect for the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a graham cracker crust. The pie looks pretty perfect. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Key Lime Pie is the best. What a great way to enjoy the tastes of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This pie is calling my name!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That pie looks divine!! Your meringue looks perfect!! I'm in awe...

    xxo Kelly
    Glamourous Spirit

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pie looks good... i like lime so this one's something I can eat all the year round too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely LOVE key lime pie! I will definitely be trying this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this looks divine. i will definitely have to give this recipe a try. (and for a quick key lime pie alternative--have you tried ben and jerry's version? i can't NOT eat the entire pint. it's that good.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips