Friday, August 20, 2010

Life's a Peach


I'm convinced these peaches in wine are the simplest, most delicious dessert in the world. The first time I went to Delancey, just about a year ago, these were on the menu, and I've thought about them fondly and just a tad obsessively ever since. This summer, I committed to making them before peach season was a distant memory. I'm so glad I did. For the last three days, I've headed straight to the refrigerator after work, desperate for a forkful of fruit and the sweet, peach-infused wine at the bottom of the glass. I call it happy juice.


Speaking of happy, I've got some exciting news ... a big life change* is in the works. Of course, I'm going to make you wait until Monday to find out what it is (it's more fun that way, right?). Maybe I'll celebrate this weekend with another batch of peaches. You should do the same.

*Given the amount of wine consumed in the last three days, you can all rest assured, I'm not pregnant.


Chilled Peaches in White Wine
Recipe courtesy of Molly Wizenberg
Adapted from A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes, by David Tanis


8 ripe peaches (white or yellow, or a mixture), washed well and rubbed dry
4 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste
1 bottle (750 ml) dry white wine (I used a sauvignon blanc)

Slice the peaches thinly (about 16 slices per peach). Combine the peaches and sugar, and toss gently to mix. Add the wine, and toss gently again. Taste, and adjust sugar as needed. Cover, and refrigerate for several hours - or up to a few days, if you want.

Serve the peaches cold, in a glass or shallow bowl, with a small ladleful of their liquid. Eat the peaches with a fork and then drink the liquid left in the glass.

Yields about 8 servings.

18 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this. We are loving peaches this season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. peaches are my favorite! and this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm already looking forward to next peach season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait to find out your surprise! {i did automatically think pregnancy at first. I've had no less than 3 blogs I read announce pregnancies this week, so it would be fitting}

    ReplyDelete
  5. i adore Molly and her recipes! this sounds so good as i have been craving peaches non stop myself! i found a recipe for brown sugar and peach muffins that i will be baking this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm, I think I need some happy juice in my life :)

    Happy weekend to you!
    :) Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good! I have some of my last fresh peaches, so I might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM. YOu are speaking my language, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The peaches are divine, thank goodness you inspired Dad to make some. They are great with Amaretti cookies and a small scoop of vanilla ice cream! Yum, I'm going for a bowl right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmmmm! this looks so good! if anything, the only thing i miss about living with my parents is the fact that they have peach trees everywhere!

    allisterbee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peaches in white wine, yum!!

    I'm trying Delancey for the first time tonight, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really HAVE to try this!! Peach is one of my fav fruits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this recipe... have you tried doing it with honey or agave syrup... have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks delicious :)
    and I can't wait to hear the news tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM! I did a post with raspberries and white peaches in wine at the beginning of Summer AND you are right ... it is a simple yet decadent dessert!! Great photos!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is what I call perfection!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips