Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chocolate Pavlova with Strawberries


I discovered pavlova about a year ago and fell madly in love with it. For those of you who aren't familiar, it's basically a cake-sized meringue usually topped with whipped cream and fruit. The whole thing tastes airy and delicately sweet. I love the meringue's crunchy exterior and the inside always reminds me of eating cotton candy with its sugary dissolution once it's in your mouth. 

I decided to finally try my hand at baking one. I used Nigella Lawson's recipe, but opted to go with strawberries instead of her suggested raspberries. It turned out exactly as I hoped it would. While the recipe is long, it's not complicated. Just be sure to make the meringue on a dry day.

My only word of warning, this turns out big and it's an eat-it-the-day-you-make-it kind of dessert, so it's probably best to invite people over to share, very special and deserving people. It's also one of those desserts that loses some of its prettiness once you slice it and pile the fragments on a plate, but trust me, no one will care.


Chocolate Pavlova with Strawberries and Cream
Variation on Nigella Lawson's recipe

For the Meringue Base:
6 large egg whites
2 cups superfine sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1 teaspoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
2 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped

For the Toppings:
1 1/2 cup heavy cream, slightly sweetened with 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup sliced strawberries, sweetened with 1/2 tablespoon powdered sugar


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment. Draw a 9-inch-diameter circle on the paper with a pencil, tracing a round cake tin that size. Flip the paper over so your meringue doesn't touch the pencil marks - you'll still be able to see the circle.

Make the meringue: Beat the egg whites with a mixer until satiny peaks form, and then beat in the sugar a spoonful at a time until the meringue is stiff and shiny. Add the chocolate: Sprinkle the cocoa, vinegar and then the chopped chocolate over the egg whites. Gently fold everything with a rubber spatula until the cocoa is thoroughly mixed in.

Shape the meringue: Secure the parchment to the baking sheet with a dab of meringue under each corner. Mound the meringue onto the parchment within the circle, smoothing the sides and the top with a spatula.

Bake the meringue: Place in the oven, then immediately turn the temperature down to 300 degrees F and cook for one to one and a quarter hours. When it's ready, it should look crisp and dry on top, but when you prod the center you should feel the promise of squidginess beneath your fingers.

Let it cool: Turn off the oven and open the door slightly; let the chocolate meringue disk cool completely in the oven. When you're ready to serve, lift meringue with spatula and peel off the parchment. Place on a large plate.

Decorate the Pavlova: Slice strawberries and combine with 1/2 tablespoon powdered sugar, set aside. Whisk the cream till thick but still soft, add the sugar half way through. Pile the whipped cream on top of the meringue, then pile the strawberries on top. You want the Pavlova to look like a frosted cake. Yields 8 to 10 servings

27 comments:

  1. never heard about it but it looks delicious. thank for the recipe - im gonna try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks SO delicious! Love the burst of color that the strawberries give!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never had pavlova (nor have i heard of it until now), but it looks yummy! the texture sounds interesting...i'd love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum--That would be wonderful with my coffee right now. I haven't heard of pavlova---but I think I need to try it on our next family get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried this same Nigella Lawson recipe before, although I substituted blueberrys for the straberry, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of Pavlova before, but never tried to make it myself. This looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen pavlovas before but have never tried one myself. Though honestly, anything that involves chocolate and whipped cream and strawberries I'm all about making.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will volunteer to come over anytime you want to make that. :) It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing, I look forward to trying this out! I have a box of strawberries that have just been waiting for some Pavlova :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a huge dessert in Australia. Yours looks amazing! I've never tried making it, but now I think I might. You've made it look too good! Chocolate and strawberries are a perfect combo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh boy, I have never heard of this before, but I am intrigued! It looks so gooood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I would really like to try making this...it looks so pretty!
    xo
    Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow that looks delicious! I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh. My. God.

    I need to eat this right away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my YUM. Strawberries are my favorite. Totally going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. NOW that is my kind of dessert!! SO beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i've never heard of this but it looks so delicious!! need to try and make this soon!! :-)


    PS: i'm hosting a GIVEAWAY! hope you'll join in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! This is going in my recipe book. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never had it before, but it looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my goodness this looks DELICIOUS!
    i can't wait to try so many of your recipes.
    i am loving your blog. can't wait to keep reading. new follower.
    ben-and-alex.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. my friend made this and it was AMAZING. she also used almond whipped cream. i have a quick question- I know once you put the whipped cream and strawberries, it will get soggy, but can this be made a day in advance and still taste good? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips