Monday, June 23, 2008

Homemade Ice Cream Experiments: Chocolate Chunk


I spent the weekend with my new ice cream maker, and I think I'm in love. For my first foray, I went with a basic chocolate ice cream from Cuisinart's accompanying recipe booklet. I threw in chunks of semi-sweet chocolate for some crunch, and the results were tasty!

Basic Chocolate Ice Cream

Recipe courtesy of Cuisinart

1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Heat the whole milk until it is just bubbling around the edges (this may be done on the stovetop or in a microwave). In a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse to process the sugar with the chocolate until the chocolate is very finely chopped. Add the hot milk, process until well blended and smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and let the chocolate mixture cool completely. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla to taste. Chill 30 minutes or longer. Pour chilled mixture into your ice cream maker and let mix until thickened. Recipe yields ten 1/2 cup servings.


If you want to add chocolate chunks, nuts or anything else, pour them in about 5 minutes before the ice cream is finished churning. The ice cream was a bit soft serve-esque when it came out of the maker, but I like it that way. Put the ice cream in a plastic container and keep it in the freezer for an hour or two if you want a firmer consistency.

6 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! Wow that looks good....An ice cream maker is in our future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok southern friend, what about something like pe-cAn pray-leen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which ice cream maker do you have? I have the cheapo thing from Wal-Mart, but when it freezes I get ice crystals in my ice cream. It's not smooth at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you do make me want to go out and get an ice cream freezer. Or maybe just wander out to buy some gelato!

    That softly melting chocolate ice cream looks absolutely gorgeous. I am so thankful summer is finally here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ashley: I know I'll have to try something more adventurous and southern! Too bad the main ice cream eater in my house loves basic flavors. :)

    cupcake: I bought the Cuisinart maker from Crate & Barrel. So far, I'm a big fan.

    lisa: I think it's a great investment and lots of summer fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, i love homemade ice cream!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips