Monday, August 10, 2009

A Sandwich Fit for the King


I'm still unemployed, so lunch has become a welcome reprieve after hitting the refresh button on various job sites all morning. Lately, I've fallen into the comforting arms of grilled peanut butter, honey and banana sandwiches. A glass of milk and the warm ooey-gooey sandwich has become the best part of my day. Apparently, Elvis loved peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Some claim that bacon was even a part of the equation. While I have yet to seek that level of caloric comfort, I think the King may have known what he was doing.

The Elvis
Recipe courtesy Peanut Butter & Co. and the Food Network

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter, softened
8 slices white bread
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 large, ripe banana, sliced
1/4 cup honey
12 slices bacon, sauteed until crispy (optional)

Spread the butter on 1 side of each slice of bread. On the other side of half of the slices spread peanut butter. Place banana slices on top of peanut butter. Drizzle honey over bananas. Place 3 bacon slices on top of the banana, then place the remaining buttered bread slices on top, butter-side-out. Place sandwiches on a preheated grill pan or griddle. Flip them over when they become golden brown and crispy. When the sandwiches are browned on both sides, remove to plates. Slice in half and serve immediately. Yields 4 sandwiches.

13 comments:

  1. after a "food-focused" Sunday afternoon (Julie and Julia was a fantastic feast),the simple luxury of peanut butter glued to the roof of my mouth transformed me into a chubby latter day Elvis...thank goodness I did not go all the way with the crispy pork product!!thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not kidding, if I had the stuff I would make one right now despite the fact that it's after 11!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i need to try this. you can't go wrong with bacon as an ingredient. {cute blog!}

    ReplyDelete
  4. this actually sounds quite yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my boys would love this sandwich! I'll have to run it past my teenager and see if he can turn it into another of his specialties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I saw Paula Deen make these a few times. They look divine - if only I had gone grocery shopping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum-O! Who doesn't love a new twist on a grilled cheese :P Fabulous!

    xo,
    Jessica

    p.s. I might just have to make one for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got a mini grill master for my kitchen (think one step above a George Forman), I'll have to try this "Elvis" combo, sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I've been eating pb&b since I was a kid, but I've never actually gone all the way and grilled it before. I need to try it some day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel you on the unemployed part. :( Your sandwich looks amazing, though. (and thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips