Thursday, July 19, 2012

Coconut Ice Cream and Chocolate Shell Topping


I've always loved coconut, but now I'm pretty much convinced it's magical. How else could you create ice cream that's creamy and smooth without any dairy involved or make your own quick-drying chocolate shell? The coconut milk ice cream is custardy and sweet with a yummy nutty flavor, and the coconut oil-based chocolate shell topping is so easy to make and would be a welcome addition to any bowl of ice cream. Pure magic I tell you.

By the way, coconut oil also makes a great moisturizer! I use it every day.

Toasted Almond Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Recipe adapted from Whole Foods

4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 (13.5 oz.) can light coconut milk
1 (13.5 oz.) can regular coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped

In a large bowl, whisk yolks and sugar together until pale yellow, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cans of light and regular coconut milk and whisk again until well combined.

Transfer coconut mixture to a medium pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until just thickened and mixture coats the back of a spoon, 8 to 10 minutes. Be sure not to let the mixture boil. Remove pot from the heat and stir in vanilla and almond extract.

Transfer contents of pot to a bowl and chill until cold. Process mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions and add toasted almonds during the last five minutes of mixing. Transfer to a container with a lid and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.

[Chocolate shell recipe found at 52 Kitchen Adventures]

10 comments:

  1. Pretty sure I need to make this this weekend. I love coconut and I wish there were more coconut flavored things in my life all the time!!!! Looks phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've discovered the wonders of coconut based ice cream, too. My favorite thing about is that it's really rich & creamy, really the only base that can compete with full-fat cow's milk.

    Love the shell idea, never tried it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please add pecans to my chocolate sauce Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been mixing pistachio and coconut gelato. it's the most amazing combination, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was JUST thinking about how I wanted to make magic shell. That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks simply divine! I'm going to have to try this asap. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, just love coconut anything!!
    Just finished breakfast and you have made me hungry for dessert already!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks SO delicious and I love your blog, it's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips