Thursday, August 30, 2012

Key Lime in Cake Form


Icebox cake might just be the easiest, cutest dessert of all time. There are all sorts of possible flavor combinations if you've got wafer cookies and something to fold into whipped cream. Aside from the classic version, I think lemon would be nice, and I'm already thinking about pumpkin icebox cake once fall arrives. But to bask in the fading days of summer, I decided to make a key lime icebox cake with ginger wafers. You could of course make your own key lime curd and wafer cookies, but I think this is a case when it's best to avoid effort. The end result is light and tangy and makes me happy every time I open the fridge. If cakes can be friendly, this one certainly is.


Key Lime Icebox Cake

2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup key lime curd
2 packages ginger wafer cookies [you'll need about 50 cookies, I used Anna's]
1/4 cup key lime curd, for decorating

In a large bowl, beat cream and sugar together with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold in key lime curd until fully incorporated.

On a serving plate or cake stand, arrange cookies, slightly overlapping in a circle, and place 1 cookie in the center. The amount of cookies will determine the diameter of your cake. I used 7 for the outer circle and ended up with a cake 7 inches across and 2 inches tall, which contained 8 layers of cookies and 8 layers of cream.

Cover cookies, almost completely, with whipped cream, spreading evenly. An offset spatula helps, as does rotating the plate while you spread the cream. Repeat, alternating cookies and cream until you run out of cream. Cover carefully with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Decorate with key lime curd if you like.

10 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of anything citrus, so this looks just perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks like heaven! and how simple to put together for guests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I love key lime anything :) I recently made my niece a key lime cake for her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhm so simple and so tasty looking! What a cute little cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could never so no to citrus curd, or a darling dessert that's so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks more amazing than it sounded this morning on your tweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious... and relatively easy?!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips