Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Making Vanilla Extract


I'd been wanting to make my own vanilla extract since this time last year, so in November, I got busy and now I'll have a boxful of homemade Christmas gifts. For me, the key to making vanilla extract is buying in bulk. I purchased these bottles, these vanilla beans and a case of affordable vodka. I used Zoe Bakes' very helpful post as a guide.

Basically, all you do is add vanilla beans to vodka and store in a place away from sunlight. It seems like the longer you keep the vanilla beans in the vodka, the more flavorful your extract will be. I kept mine in for about six weeks. It's so gratifying to see the clear vodka turn such a warm, gorgeous shade of brown. I shook the bottles around every few days and would open one up to get a whiff of that amazing vanilla scent. I'm in the process now of dividing up the vanilla extract into 8 oz. bottles and slapping on the labels I created on Pinhole Press, just in time to get them under the tree!

15 comments:

  1. Momma & Daddy each need their own bottle. I hope we are on the delivery list... You just can't have too much vanilla. Don't forget Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this has never occurred to me before! how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! So impressed! Love the bottles too! Great gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning from foggy L.A.!

    Wow! Natalie, as always I'm more than a little amazed. The process of making your own vanilla sounds simple enough, but you make it look so pretty, too. The labels are an extra nice touch! Thanks for passing along the link so we can all attempt to make our own vanilla.

    Warmly,

    Elizabeth

    PS~Thanks so much for stopping by yesterday! I'm glad you're enjoying our 25 Days of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put vanilla extract in everything...even my pancakes! I would love to try this out!! Maybe in the new year!! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos are beautiful as well as the thought and effort you put into making your own vanilla extract. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made vanilla extract last year and it's STILL not as lovely and fragrant as I'd hoped–I think a very high proof spirit must be the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I never even knew that you could make your own vanilla extract... I have to try this sometime. I love the smell and flavor of vanilla.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks great! my friend made me vanilla extract last year for christmas, best gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just thrifted some vintage brown glass bottles with the hopes of using them for vanilla extract. Looking forward to checking out Zoe's post!

    Your bottles turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an incredible idea! Truthfully, I've always wondered how to make vanilla extract. This is such a great gift idea being that it's fairly inexpensive per person. I wish I could make a batch in time for Christmas but I don't think I'll get much depth of flavor in 11 days. I will definitely try this soon because who doesn't love to bake in the winter? The labels are a gorgeous touch, very professional looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds wonderful !! Never knew you could make vanilla !!! Wish I would of seen this earlier :) Next year <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. love that you posted this recipe! and am envious of your three homes so far (; i'm southern as well, now living in denver, love nyc & seattle! new to your blog.. happiest new year!

    xo, tiffany

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips