Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Art by the Cupful


One of my favorite things about walking around in New York is happening upon unexpected and unusual loveliness, and that's just what I got as I passed the Flatiron Building the other night. The glassed-in artspace there is currently housing an installation called Hypergraphia. It's paper cups covered in beautiful drawings, strung from the ceiling, just waiting to be admired from the street. The work is by artist Gwyneth Leech who creates a unique and intricate design on every cup. It's really some of the happiest, most approachable artwork I've ever come across.

New Yorkers, you can even stop by and see the artist at work Tuesday through Saturday, 11am to 2pm, from now until December 31. You'll probably be craving a cup of coffee or tea afterward.

16 comments:

  1. So unexpected, yet so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!

    http://chicgeekery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool - I'll have to check it out when I'm in NYC next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow so creative...I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love just happening upon things like this in the city. So unexpected :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. those cups are beautiful! who would have thought a paper cup could become that?

    gave me a little inspiration for a fun halloween project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful instillation! I love that in NYC you can just stumble across these sorts of things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll forward to my NYC friends. Amazing what artists can do with such seemingly simple objects. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen this! What a strange and beautiful medium.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when artists stretch your idea of a worth canvas and change the way you look at things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awesome! I saw paper plates outside of Anthropologie earlier this fall but the cups I like even better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm definitely going to check this out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I were in NY I would love to check this place out! These paper cups are so creative and I am loving the designs :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips