Thursday, October 13, 2011

New and Improved Brussels Sprouts


There aren't any foods that I flat out hate, I'll pretty much eat anything, but Brussels sprouts aren't my favorite. I've discovered though if you add enough things you like to something you don't, you might just end up with a winner. For instance, Brussels sprouts + butter + pecans + pomegranate seeds = deliciousness. Also, I used baby Brussels sprouts, which are pretty adorable as vegetables go, and, another life lesson here, the cuter food is, the better it tastes. You're welcome.

Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate and Pecans
Recipe adapted from Bobby Flay

1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
2 tablespoons canola oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
Seeds from 1 pomegranate
1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans

Preheat oven to 375ยบ F. Bring salted water to a boil, add halved sprouts and cook for 5 minutes. Drain the blanched Brussels sprouts, then rinse and pat dry. Place Brussels sprouts on a large baking sheet, toss with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until lightly golden brown and completely cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer sprouts to a large bowl, add the butter and stir until melted. Stir in the pomegranate seeds, pecans and pomegranate molasses and toss to combine. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.

20 comments:

  1. I recognize that yumminess! Thanks to Flay a vegatable has been transformed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not the biggest fan of brussels sprouts either, but they look really tasty here. Don't you love when you can transform a food you dislike into something yummy? It really inspires me to try different things with other foods I'm not crazy about. Although, I'm not sure if that would true for onions. I truly despise onions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! ive been looking for a good brussels sprout recipe, and it seems ive just found it. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I love brussels sprouts. I love them pretty much any way that I have had them. So, this recipe I am super pumped about. This is perfect for fall too! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love brussels sprouts, and I'm sure adding pecans and pomegranate would only make me love them more! Must try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to hate brussel sprouts until oh.... last week. Now I love them! Can't wait to try this new way to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. those look yummy. roasting brussels sprouts is the key. here's another recipe you might enjoy! =)

    http://pleasingespeciallytothesenses.blogspot.com/2011/03/eating-my-vegetables-roasted-brussels.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg! that looks delicious, and I'm pretty sure that's the first time brussels sprouts have ever heard me say that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, I just figured out what I'm bringing to Thanksgiving dinner this year! I love brussels sprouts, probably make them at least once a week (and yes, baby brussels are the best!) thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of adding pecans and pomegranate seeds.It looks and sounds totally delicious:) Thanks, sweetie. Have a great afternoon:) Muah

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this recipe for Thanksgiving last year after seeing Bobby Flay make this on his throwdown episode with The Pioneer Woman. I've never loved the sprouts more. We make it at least twice a month. I will say though adding some chopped pancetta makes it even better. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same here, I'll pretty much eat anything, but I dont love brussel sprouts. But these look good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been a fan of brussels sprouts from childhood but unfortunately my wife doesn't share my taste. Your recipe may bring them back into our family cuisine! Dank u wel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo, a little pancetta never hurt anybody. Thanks, Ally!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice! I like brussels when they are cooked right! I do like them sauteed with a bit of fresh garlic, olive oil, and butter. Then, placed under the broiler with a sprinkle of fresh parm. I will have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pomegranate molasses! Delicious!!! Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i had brussel sprouts tonight! love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look delicious and there is a chance my toddler would eat them this way (instead of roasted with garlic:)

    Fun to chat in the forum yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical but this actulaly looks good =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips