Thursday, December 22, 2011

Mull it Over


This mulled wine may just be my new favorite holiday drink. It's flavorful, comforting and so easy to make. Plus, it's your one chance to drink wine out of a mug and still be considered classy.

Mulled Wine
Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten and the Food Network

4 cups apple cider
1 (750-ml) bottle red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
1/4 cup honey
2 cinnamon sticks
1 orange, zested and juiced
4 whole cloves
3 star anise
4 oranges, peeled, for garnish

Bundle the spices together in a cheesecloth sachet before adding or you can strain the finished wine with a sieve before pouring into mugs. Combine the cider, wine, honey, cinnamon sticks, zest, juice, cloves and star anise in a large pot, and simmer over low heat for at least 20 minutes. Add an orange peel or cinnamon stick to each mug and enjoy.

13 comments:

  1. Jim (sleepless in Seattle)December 22, 2011 at 7:18 AM

    Great photo, I can almost smell it! I love the monogram on the cup, does Jonah have his own "J" cup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. barefoot contessa does no wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am totally with rebecca. all hail ina! i bought one of those mugs as a christmas present. wish i had gotten more. merry christmas natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been buying a sweet red (to avoid having to add extra sweetener, because I'm really THAT lazy) and I put it in a pot with a few cloves and a couple of cinnamon sticks & let it simmer for about 30 minutes. It's so good, I can't even talk about it without wanting to go make some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! I have never had mulled wine before, but this sounds so wonderful

    http://chicgeekery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. making this this weekend! thank you so much for sharing the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this sounds delicious! i may have to try this.

    www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummy! I might have to make that for Christmas Eve! Any chance you know where star anise is in the grocery store (or what it even looks like?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are your thoughts on that Anthro mug? I keep going back & forth if I want it...I have the white/black lettered monogrammed which has to be my top 5 favorite mugs I have (and I have a good collection)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had it before, but it sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i ripped out a recipe in real simple...def want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Danielle, I'm a fan of the mug. It's pretty, and it's nice and big! Two important qualities in a mug. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips