Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Brownies Made Better


I've been contemplating these brownies for a while now, thinking long and hard about flavor combinations. I used this recipe, which is for Nigella's brownies with dried cherries thrown in, and then I  added white chocolate and almonds because you know, "Go big or go home." They turned out just as I had hoped, fudgy and dense and each bite offered something different. A glass of milk and a little self-control are recommended.


Cherry, White Chocolate and Almond Brownies
Adapted from Nigella Lawson

1 2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for buttering pan
1 1/3 cup dried cherries
1 quart boiling water
13 ounces good dark chocolate
6 large eggs
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
1 1/4 cup sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9- by 13-inch pan. Put cherries into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 10 minutes to plump up, then drain and set aside.

In a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring occasionally. When smooth and combined, set aside and let cool. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, and sugar. In a small bowl, mix together salt and the flour. Beat the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg mixture with a wooden spoon. Beat in the flour mixture until just combined. Stir in cherries, white chocolate chips and sliced almonds. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until brownies are lightened in color and start cracking around the top edges, but are still slightly soft in the middle, about 30 minutes. Let cool on a rack and serve.

14 comments:

  1. I feel like saying self-control is needed with these is an oxymoron. They look too good for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great timing i have some beautiful washington state cherries that needed some direction...chocolate is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. Did you take these gorgeous photos? Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! those sound delicious. if brownies are in my house, self-control just can't be found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am craving chocolate something fierce. And there is nothing better (in my opinion) than chocolate and dried cherries. I may have to give these a go, my friend. Either that or you'll have to bake me some and hand deliver them this afternoon. Your call.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must try these. They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm brownies are the best, these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i want to reach into the computer screen and eat those NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A little self control, haha! These look great and nearly impossible to have any self control! I'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your go big or go home logic. so true. these look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. UHHHH I AM DROOLING!!! THOSE LOOK INCREDIBLE!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips