Friday, August 12, 2011

Summer Side: Lima Beans


Lima beans make me really happy. Is that weird? I think there's a nostalgia factor since I grew up eating them, but they also taste really good and they're just so cute. Yep, I think beans are cute. They were the highlight of the dinner plate last night, so much so that I'll be eating some for lunch today all by their lonesome.

Lima Beans with Bacon and Onion
Recipe courtesy of Everyday Food

In a large skillet, cook 3 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, over medium until crisp and fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. To skillet, add 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced small, and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen lima beans, thawed, and season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lima beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in bacon and 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 4.

15 comments:

  1. I love saying lima beans, it's just so fun! This looks fantastic going to have to try it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan and this looks delicious. But then again, take anything and saute with some bacon and onion and I'll partake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! I love lima beans, too. I totally agree with you about their cuteness :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could eat only that and be so satisfied..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who likes those big ones? Fordhooks I think they are called, yum with bacon and onions, going to the grocery now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE lima beans. I too saw this recipe in the latest FOOD issue and can't wait to try it myself.

    Your pictures are great too! Enjoy your weekend.

    Best,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW does that look GOOD! Of course bacon makes everything taste better. Invite us over anytime. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not really a big fan of lima beans, but maybe I'll try this out sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unfortunately, I cannot stand lima beans, BUT... if prepared with bacon and onion, I just may have a new friend. Thanks for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks AMAZING, and I don't even normally like lima beans that much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw your picture on Tastespotting and I was like, "Ohhh!" I never thought of doctoring up lima beans like this but it sure does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the same way that my mother-in-law prepares brussel sprouts. The only difference (besides the brussel sprouts) is balsalmic vinegar instead of sherry. So delicious. I will try this version, while brussel sprouts are not in season :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The balsamic vinegar sounds good, but you gotta have the Bacon and some of the grease with it. Mix the grease with some flour and stir into the sprouts or even into sauerkraut. It's very good with cooked fresh polish sausage.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips