Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Great Dates


If you had asked me a few years ago if I liked dates, I probably would have said something like, "Ew. Gross. What's the matter with you?" But a little preparation goes a long way, and now dates are on my "yes, please" list. When I attended a food styling class last summer hosted by Lara Ferroni, she prepared dates like this for us to photograph and eat. I was immediately drawn in by the sweet, buttery smell in the air.


Place a pan over medium heat. Saute six dates in 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Stir for about three minutes until they're glossy, fragrant and warm. Place on a plate and pat dry with paper towel. Sprinkle with coarse salt.

Magically, they don't taste like crinkly, old fruit, but like warm, caramelly candy. These are perfect for a rainy day snack, which happened to be the case yesterday. And I wouldn't mind if it rained again today.

12 comments:

  1. I've never had a date, but these are looking fabulous. I might have to rethink my date platform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dates are like an ancient super food! This sounds like the best way to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have loved dates since I was a child, but I've never had them warm. I'll have to try! My favorite way to eat them is stuffed with goat cheese & drizzled with honey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been able to eat dates but my dad loves them. I might have to try this little recipe...

    www.sarahandthecityblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh la la! This looks like a great variation on plain dates. Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dates are my favorite!!! Both kinds! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dates with sea salt sounds like a genius idea! I'm already obsessed with dates, so I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never had one, so I will take your word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boyfriend is a Chef and he makes the BEST bacon wrapped dates I have ever had. Stuffed with blue cheese? Makes me want some just thinking about it!

    prior to meeting him I don't think I had ever consumed a date. Now? Date advocate. hehe

    xo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got to admit I've not really eaten dates on their own before. But the way you've described them has me ready to give them a go! Warm, caramelly candy? Let me at 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear me, those sound amazing! I've had bacon-wrapped dates, but those were too rich for me. These sound perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like plump, moist dates - I must give these a try!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips