Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mountain Music


When my parents visited last month, my dad brought me a dulcimer, which is this folksy little instrument that I find so quaint and beautiful. I took a few lessons back in Seattle a couple years ago but never had my own dulcimer, so my dad kindly bought me one from a shop in Tennessee. It's handcrafted from walnut and is absolutely beautiful. I'm not very good (yet) as you'll see below, but playing it makes me happy and it's easier than guitar for a girl with small hands and weak fingers. Thank you, Dad.

You may just barely recognize "Oh, Susanna." Do any of you play an instrument?

16 comments:

  1. Ohh it's so pretty! And, hey! You can play girl! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! i love it! lets start a band

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful instrument. Hold on to that talent! I stopped playing guitar and piano and wish I hadn't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed! You did great! And I haven't played an instrument since the clarinet in middle school....

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh how I love the dulcimer! I'm jealous and impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so, so beautiful! I love dulcimer music! Now perhaps you can play us weekly songs :)

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you don't even know how much that video reminds me of home! my parents have a dulcimer.

    I don't play anything anymore, but I used to play piano, clarinet, and alto sax... and no, not all at once ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. BEAUTIFUL!!!! i always wanted to play a neat instrument like that . . . either the dulcimer or the autoharp. hmmmm . . . new inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so fun to hear about your middle school band days. I used to play the alto sax too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My new favorite songs are Texas and Oh Susanna! Loved your dulcimer. Can't wait to hear you and Jonah playing together, dueling dulcimers (actually dulcimer and guitar).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even the name is lovely. I've never played an instrument, but have always wanted to. Instead, I was trained as a singer, and I've found over the years that I miss performing and working on that part of me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love the sound! Nice job - work it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i adore dulcimers. this is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips