Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Strawberry Pops


These are the most refreshing popsicles I've had in a long time. All that fruit packed into one pop makes for some summery deliciousness. I added torn mint leaves to half of the batch, which provided their own little burst of flavor. I think I'll make these again before fall takes over and popsicles are replaced by pumpkins, not that I'm complaining.

Strawberry Ice Pops
Recipe courtesy of Paletas cookbook; spotted on Leite's Culinaria

4 cups fresh strawberries, preferably wild, hulled and cut into quarters
1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar, depending on the sweetness of the berries and of your sweet tooth
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. Combine the strawberries and sugar in a bowl. Let sit until the strawberries start to release their juices, 20 to 30 minutes.

2. Transfer the sugary strawberries and water to a saucepan and place over medium heat. Simmer until the berries are slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.

3. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor, add the lemon juice, and puree until the desired consistency, whether smooth or with some chunks in it.

4. If using conventional molds, divide the mixture among the molds, snap on the lid, and freeze until solid, about 5 hours.

If using glasses or other unconventional molds, freeze until the pops are beginning to set (1 1/2 to 2 hours), then insert the sticks and freeze until solid, 4 to 5 hours. You know what to do now.

8 comments:

  1. I have those popsicle molds too...I always thought they would be perfect with strawberry! So pretty and refreshing. I can't deny that I love fall and will definitely welcome the crisp, cool air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try making my own popsicles forever! These look too good to not recreate.

    www.sarahandthecityblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I NEED to make these. Delish!

    xo,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. tasty... Am craving for your popsicles... nice blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips