Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Best Thing I'd Never Heard Of


My one venture out of the hotel and into Salt Lake City last week was a food tour led by Lindsey of Cafe Johnsonia. The first stop was a fantastic bakery called Les Madeleines, and we tasted their specialty, kouing aman. I'd never heard of kouing aman and had no idea how to pronounce it, but man, I'm glad I was introduced. It's a traditional pastry from the Brittany region of France, and it's kind of like an amped-up croissant, crunchy and caramelized on the outside with a sort of a gooey sweetness happening in the center and lots of buttery, flaky layers throughout. Hungry yet? I ate one on the spot, brought two home and wished I had more when they were gone. Everything else in the bakery looked delicious, but these were worth the trip.

13 comments:

  1. It is very difficult to pronounce. But delicious buttery goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! I'll be googling recipes for this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so delicious!!

    www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need to find one of those immediately. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. UM these look incredible! Especially as I've always been a fan of the crossaint, especially *pain au chocolat* :) Soo how DO you pronounce it? Inquiring minds want to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I studied abroad in France for 5 months, but never heard of those either. They look downright sinful. Calling our local French Bakery tout de suite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful pastry! I hadn't heard of kouing aman either. Your beautiful photos certainly make me want to find a bakery that bakes them soon!

    Happy Wednesday,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must try that Carrot Cake cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, that sounds truly amazing. Makes me want to go visit Brittany and see what else they have to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow--these looks amazing. Ill be on the hunt for them for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you loved kouing aman. :) And I'm so glad you came with me!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips