Wednesday, April 25, 2012

San Francisco Eats


Discovering new restaurants and finally tasting food I've heard about is one of my favorite things about traveling. Here's what I found in San Francisco:

Bourbon & Branch is a dimly lit, cozy speakeasy that requires a password. Sounds intimidating, but just make a reservation and they'll send it to you. The drinks were incredible, the bartenders friendly and since no cell phones or photography are allowed, you're forced to relax and enjoy your libation and your company. It's actually refreshing.

Drinks were followed by an outstanding meal at Sons & Daughters. Seriously, in the top tier of meals I've eaten. I'm still kicking myself for not running back to the hotel to get my camera because my iPhone photos don't nearly do it justice. They offered an eight-course tasting menu with dishes like trout roe on a buttermilk crisp, pork belly with English peas and mint, bitter orange soup, and three delicious bread courses that were maybe the three best breads I've ever eaten. I'm still thinking about that piece of warm buckwheat toast.

On Saturday, we visited the farmers' market at the Ferry Terminal Building to try the Roli Roti food stand, something I'd seen on the Cooking Channel at least a year ago. The line was long but moved quickly. We got two porchetta sandwiches which are topped with sweet caramelized onions and arugula. It was juicy, crispy, chewy, all kinds of good.

Inside the Ferry Building, Miette has lots of tempting sweets, but I could barely think about food after that pork sandwich. I did manage to try one of their hazelnut macarons, which was delightful.

Roam Artisan Burgers was our dinner spot. They have tasty grass-fed burgers with all the fixin's, housemade sodas and killer milkshakes. The place was packed with a line out the door minutes after we sat down. It was the perfect casual dinner.

For Sunday brunch, we loved the beignets and massive (by New York standards anyway) mimosas at Brenda's French Soul Food.

Mmm...now I'm hungry. Thanks to Kelly, Brandi and Aly for your recommendations!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, now I'm starving...and I'm drooling over that first image. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing. We'll have to follow in your foodie footsteps when we're there next month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks so so yummy!! I would love to try that burger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those all sound wonderful, I'll save this page for my next trip to SF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookmarking this for future reference - it looks like you had an amazing time! (I've always wanted to try Miette!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!These look delicious!!!I'm starving now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM all around. And, I noticed some of my favorite stops in those photos. What macaron was your favorite??? Cheers to SF!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! So glad you enjoyed. It was super fun making a list of my fave places. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the reasons I love LOVE your blog is because I think you take as many pictures of your food as I do...It's looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips