Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Southern Sandwich Trio


In Savannah, we had a lunch one day consisting of three classic southern sandwiches: tomato, pimento cheese and egg salad. My dad whipped everything up from scratch, and then we hauled it all to my grandma and grandad's house. I love pimento cheese, but the tomato sandwich with a basil leaf and pesto mayonnaise was my favorite. Round cut-out sandwiches hold a special place in my heart. Served with coleslaw, pickles, potato chips and sparkling pink lemonade, it all made for a perfect picnic-style lunch. And we had cookies for dessert because in the South, you've gotta have a taste of something sweet, even at lunchtime.

15 comments:

  1. Thank goodness Daddy is in charge of food and we get to enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These little sandwiches are so pretty! The remind me of what my mom used to make for me when I had fancy tea parties as a kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those do look so good---and I have to agree with you--they are just better when they are served round. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds tasty! Plus, they look like something I could eat. :)

    http://mandycrandell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummm! Tomatoe sandwiches are my favorite! That's what I eat all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I know what I want for lunch today. Those tomato sandwiches look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore the round little sandwich shapes. Is that your dad's idea? Bravo to your papa!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! I'll definitely have to keep these in mind for a party or a baby shower. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious! Sounds like such a wonderful meal

    Mal @ The Chic Geek

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that tomato sandwich sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tiffany,
    He's pretty smart.

    Stephanie,
    That's exactly what I thought. Such fun food for a party or shower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew one of the three had to be pimento cheese....oh so southern....& good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Memories. That sounds like a Saturday spread of sandwiched my Nana would make. I love the perfect circular shapes. And please tell your Dad I'm stealing his pesto-mayo idea. That sounds divine for a tomato sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like the perfect lunch. I love those tomato sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A round of applause for your Dad! Everything looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips