Friday, June 22, 2012

Classic New York: Russ & Daughters


When I'm on the Lower East Side, I like to pop in Russ & Daughters just for the experience. It houses all the classic New York Jewish specialities, and having been in business since 1914, it feels completely authentic. It's a pretty compact, usually crowded market filled with smoked fish, caviar, bagels, dried fruits, chocolates, nuts and sweets like babka and black and white cookies. I have a deep-seated fascination with those last two thanks to too many Seinfeld episodes, enough so to always bring home a big piece of chocolate babka.

11 comments:

  1. Love, love, love NY and all it offers! Fun trip always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fun!! It looks very vintage on the outside, may have to check it out!

    Fromfreyawithlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I have been craving new york bagels!! These looks fantastic. Maybe they deliver. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, first of all – I love the name. and it looks like such a cool little place.

    have a wonderful weekend, natalie! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my all-time favorites! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. before i even read what you had written i had thought about seinfeld just looking through the photos. best.show.ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes me wonder- do they serve muffin tops? not Jewish, but very Seinfeld...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you stop in Yohah Schimmel Knish Bakery on the next block for the best knish of your life? Believe me I grew up in a Jewish/Italian neighborhood of Brooklyn, trust me. By the way, found your blog by the way of Savannah googling and I adore it. I took my girl scouts there for a week and we all fell in love with Savannah. I will return!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nab, there's nothing like those kinds of places! And Seinfeld has influenced us all at some point...no shame in that. Lol

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Denise! I have yet to go to Yonah Schimmel's but pass by it all the time. You've inspired me to go inside!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips