Friday, June 8, 2012

Pulled Pork Sandwich with the Coleslaw on the Side


There are a few ways to make pulled pork, but my tried and true method is in the slow cooker. It doesn't get any easier. I'm a purist when it comes to my pulled pork. I like the meat cooked by itself, and then I add barbecue sauce to taste. Right alongside it, I'll take coleslaw, baked beans, potato chips or all of the above. That's summer on a plate in my book.

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Recipe adapted from My Own Sweet Thyme

2 to 2 1/2 lbs. boneless pork butt or shoulder
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Place the pork butt or shoulder in a slow cooker. Pour the water over it and add salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Cover and cook on a low setting for 8 to 10 hours, or until the pork is cooked through and tender.

Remove the roast from the slow cooker and place in a large dish. It may begin to fall apart when you remove it from the slow cooker, that's a good sign. With two forks, pull the meat apart into bite-size pieces. Pour accumulated juices over the meat, stirring each time until fully absorbed. Repeat several times if desired but do not add so much that the juices gather in the bottom of the dish.

Serve on buns with your favorite barbecue sauce.

Coleslaw
1 small head of cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, grated
1 small purple onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
salt and pepper to taste

Combine ingredients and stir together. If you want crunchy coleslaw (like me), prepare just before serving. Serves 4.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I have been looking for a good pulled pork recipe! All the ones I have found add BBQ sauce to the slow cooker, and I too don't like it in my meat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made my own, but bbq is definitely my summertime comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boyfriend loves making pulled pork in our crock pot..and I love it too! The only problem is that he makes SO MUCH of it! It's like one of those huge crock pots and there's only two of us! Next time I'll have to freeze some :) Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes please!! MY hubby makes yummy pulled pork in the crock pot too. SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cole slaw comment: I prefer the tradition of Wickle's pickle juice rather than cider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum–it's definitely summer on a dish!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips