Thursday, June 14, 2012

Smell Like a Man


The are three scents that make me think of my dad. One is baby powder, not terribly masculine but good for absorbing foot odor. The second is garlic. His hands always smell like garlic from all his time spent in the kitchen. As a kid, I absolutely hated it, now my hands always smell like garlic. And the third is Royall Lyme. As long as I've been around, the only cologne my dad has ever worn is Royall Lyme. It's called a lotion, but it's basically an aftershave. I tend to be very picky about fragrances, but this is so light and zesty and refreshing, I'd even dab some on myself. The old fashioned packaging really makes it, a paper-wrapped box with a wax seal and a green glass bottle topped with a lead crown. Classic but unique. Just like dad.

7 comments:

  1. I've never heard of it! Isn't it amazing how smells trigger a flood of memories?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same folks make" bay rhum" a similar classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quintessential Dad, you both make me smile....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am unfamiliar with this scent. Now you have me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this, but it sounds wonderful! There are smells that remind me of my parents, too - orange blossom (because I think we had some growing near my childhood home), fresh laundry, swimming pools. These things make me miss them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm conjuring the scent now... and loving that retro packaging!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips