Thursday, March 14, 2013

Winter Fruit Pavlova

brown sugar winter fruit pavlova
winter fruit
brown sugar pavlova
winter fruit pavlova

Pavlova is one of my favorite desserts. It makes me think of springtime, but I wanted to make a version using some of my favorite winter fruits just before the seasons change. The brown sugar meringue is such a good flavor that I'll definitely use it again, I added a little yogurt to the whipped cream since I thought some tang would better suit the citrus, and I piled on blood oranges, kiwis, candied kumquats and pomegranate seeds.

This recipe made one ginormous meringue. In fact, it was dangerously close to being bigger than the plate, so you may want to make a few mini meringues instead. So many colors, flavors and textures, the whole thing just makes me happy.

Winter Fruit Pavlova
Recipe adapted from Gourmet

Brown sugar meringue:
1 cup superfine granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
5 large eggs at room temperature, egg whites only
Pinch of salt

Cream:
1 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup plain yogurt
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

Fruit:
2 blood oranges, segmented
2 kiwis, sliced
1/2 cup candied kumquats
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds

Preheat oven to 250°F with rack in middle. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 9-inch-diameter circle on the paper with a pencil, tracing a round cake tin that size. Flip the paper over so your meringue doesn't touch the pencil marks -- you'll still be able to see the circle. Pulse superfine sugar, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a food processor or blender until well combined. Stir together vanilla and vinegar in a small bowl. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt using an electric mixer at medium speed until they hold soft peaks. Increase speed to medium-high and add sugar mixture 1 tablespoon at a time. After all sugar has been added, beat 1 minute more. Add vinegar mixture, then beat at high speed until meringue is glossy and holds stiff peaks, about 5 minutes. Mound the meringue onto the parchment within the circle, smoothing the sides and the top with a spatula. Bake until it's crisp and feels dry to the touch, about 1 hour (insides will still be marshmallow-like). Turn oven off and prop door open slightly with a wooden spoon. Cool meringue in oven for about 1 hour. Carefully peel off parchment (meringues are fragile and may crack).

Combine cream, yogurt and sugar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Top cooled meringue with cream mixture. If you plan to use candied kumquats, plan ahead so they have time to cool. Directions are here. Combine sliced fruit with kumquats and pomegranate seeds. Pour fruit over cream, sprinkling a few extra pomegranate seeds on top. Serve immediately.

12 comments:

  1. that looks AMAZING! I've always wanted to try making a pavlova.. I really should one of these days : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It almost looks too beautiful to eat!!! The combo of the meringue with the fruit and the cream must be delicious!!! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, compliments for your blog,you prepare tasty recipes, this one is simply delicious, pretty photos, I prepared a pavlova with whipped cream and woods strawberries (fragoline di bosco)and his sirup!!!
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we'll have to make you an "honorary Kiwi" for that - might have to go candy some of the kumquats that are sitting on my tree outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm yum, your pavlova looks absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This seriously looks amazing....I love that you used winter fruits! My husband recently gave up gluten--so this is a great dessert for us. I haven't ever tried to make one before--but I am pinning and wanting to make it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummmy! I've always wanted to try pavlova and I think now I'm going to have to try this

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my favorite desserts. When I lived at home in 2011, I made meringues all the time. Then I used this to impress my in-laws-to-be when they met my family for the first time. I had my mom calling me like every other week asking how I did that. It's now a family dessert fave :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been having a bit of a pavlova obsession lately and have been eager to make one. I'm glad I stumbled across this recipe! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips