Thursday, October 14, 2010

Guest Post: I Heart Ann Arbor


Abigail's blog, gus & other things, consistently reminds me how much I love architecture, a home-cooked meal, and dogs, and as you can see, her gardening skills evoke all sorts of envy.
***

When trying to think of my favorite thing about Ann Arbor, aside from the wonderful friends and neighbors we are lucky enough to have here, I boiled it down to two things: geeks and gardens.


Like all college towns, Ann Arbor has way more than its fair share of folks with master’s degrees and PhDs and I am just endlessly fascinated at the things my wonderfully geeky neighbors know. Before we moved here I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a psycholinguist, and now I have a friend who is one. (Although, to be honest, I’m still not all that clear on what she does.)


My other favorite thing about Ann Arbor is that this is where I learned to garden.
Growing up I couldn’t have cared less about plants and I didn’t even mow my parent’s lawn. And before we finally landed here, I moved around so often I couldn’t keep houseplants alive and was convinced I had a black thumb.


But Ann Arbor is full of gardeners and it didn’t take more than a few months of living here for me to become inspired. Maybe inspired isn’t the right word… How about obsessed?

[graduation photo courtesy of library of congress]

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Those vegetables! I would like a garden that would produce an entire table's worth of beautiful veggies, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love ann arbor too!!! my husband and i just visited A2 in May and we can't wait to go back!! it's a great college town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love ann arbor although i've never been there :) it's in michigan...that is good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips