Thursday, October 14, 2010

Guest Post: I Heart Ann Arbor

Abigail's blog, gus & other things, consistently reminds me how much I love architecture, a home-cooked meal, and dogs, and as you can see, her gardening skills evoke all sorts of envy.

When trying to think of my favorite thing about Ann Arbor, aside from the wonderful friends and neighbors we are lucky enough to have here, I boiled it down to two things: geeks and gardens.

Like all college towns, Ann Arbor has way more than its fair share of folks with master’s degrees and PhDs and I am just endlessly fascinated at the things my wonderfully geeky neighbors know. Before we moved here I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a psycholinguist, and now I have a friend who is one. (Although, to be honest, I’m still not all that clear on what she does.)

My other favorite thing about Ann Arbor is that this is where I learned to garden.
Growing up I couldn’t have cared less about plants and I didn’t even mow my parent’s lawn. And before we finally landed here, I moved around so often I couldn’t keep houseplants alive and was convinced I had a black thumb.

But Ann Arbor is full of gardeners and it didn’t take more than a few months of living here for me to become inspired. Maybe inspired isn’t the right word… How about obsessed?

[graduation photo courtesy of library of congress]


  1. Oh my goodness! Those vegetables! I would like a garden that would produce an entire table's worth of beautiful veggies, please.

  2. i love ann arbor too!!! my husband and i just visited A2 in May and we can't wait to go back!! it's a great college town!

  3. i love ann arbor although i've never been there :) it's in michigan...that is good enough for me!



Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips