Monday, October 4, 2010

Guest Post: I Heart Houston


Next up, Dionne of City of Dionne. It is a life goal of mine to attend one of her gorgeous parties. She finds beauty in all the simple things, cooks up the most fabulous food and her artwork consistently brings a smile to my face.
***

When I first heard about Natalie's move to New York I was excited. I adore New York. I love Central Park, how it's like an oasis in the city. I love the color and lights of Times Square - a sticker book of images and signs. But we all know that New York is big and exciting. An often overlooked city would have to be the city that I moved to two years ago for my husband's job - Houston, Texas.

Back when I lived in Australia, I always imagined people in Houston to wear big cowboy hats and heavy belt buckles. I imagined dusty streets and quiet, empty buildings. But since moving here I can see that my perception was totally wrong. Houston is the 4th biggest city in America, there's so much culture in this city - I love it! Houston is full of bright green parklands and lovely historical architecture. It's the perfect blend of the old and the new.

It has lots of great restaurants, and being the foodie that I am, I plan to go to all of them one day, and yet it's only an hours drive from things like lavender fields. Houston also has a bunch of great farmer's markets that you'll find me at every other weekend.

If any of you want to check out Houston, let me know, and I can give you a list of all the best spots to go!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to read your post giving credit to Houston. As most refuse to take the time to see its true beauty. As someone who is a born and raised Houstonian I would love to hear your must see places. I have a feeling you might have several places I have forgot all about or maybe never even been. I love finding new finds just around the corner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that Houston is a fabulous city. Never been, but now I know who to go to for a list of must-sees! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you still see those cowboys though, great boots, and too big buckles. When we lived in Galveston, just south of Houston, I thought it was a different world, of course that was during the "Urban Cowboy" years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally want to visit there someday!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips