Monday, September 24, 2012

Armchair Traveling

Today's guest post is from Shoko of Sho and Tell. I like to think she has her finger on the pulse of all things quirky and whimsical. Her blog consistently makes me smile and think about things in a new way.

I caught the travel bug in college, after going to India (my first big international trip without my family) the summer before senior year. Since then, I’ve taken a road trip through Eastern Europe, taught math and English to schoolchildren in Cambodia, milked goats in New Zealand, visited cat cafes in Japan, and devoured buttery lobster seaside with my hands in Martha’s Vineyard.


My travel wish-list for the future is lengthy, but my work schedule at the moment makes the possibility of taking a big trip unlikely - for the next few months anyway. No matter - I’ve found there are ways to explore the world that don’t involve the purchase of plane tickets. Some of my favorite books (A Fine Balance, Paris Trance, Travels With Charley) and movies (Lost in Translation, Darjeeling Limited, The Motorcycle Diaries) are transportive. And experimenting in the kitchen with exotic recipes from around the world is one of my favorite ways to travel without leaving home (check this out for inspiration).

It may not be quite the same thing as getting on a plane, but for now, it’ll do. Are you an armchair traveler, too?

3 comments:

  1. Yes! One of my favorite movies for a mental getaway is Midnight in Paris. I also love to cook recipes from the cookbooks I buy while on vacation. I was just in Napa Valley & now I'm cooking from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc for some mini-escapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ad Hoc! Such a great one. Thanks again for having me, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! How did I miss the cat cafes when I was in Japan?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips