Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pumpkin Muffins


It's September so bust out the pumpkin! That tends to be my rule even if it's 88 degrees outside. I don't know why I don't eat pumpkin year-round since I love it so much, but I guess it would lose its specialness if I did. Like having Christmas lights up all year or eating birthday cake every day. Actually that doesn't sound so bad, maybe I'm on to something here.

Anyway, these pumpkin muffins are soft, moist, not overly sweet and the crumb topping adds the right amount of crunch. I lined half of the muffins with parchment paper, which made them perfect for a breakfast on the go.

Pumpkin Muffins with Walnut Crumble
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1 cup (heaping) pumpkin puree
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 whole egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Crumb Topping
1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease or line muffin tins. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cut in butter with two forks or a pastry blender until it is fully incorporated. In a separate bowl, mix together pumpkin, cream, egg and vanilla. Pour pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture. Fold gently until mixture is just combined. Pour into a muffin pan about 2/3 full in each. Set aside.

For crumble topping, coarsely chop walnuts. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle unbaked muffins with crumb topping. Bake muffins for 25 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove and allow to cool. Makes 10 to 12 muffins.

14 comments:

  1. I never thought of the parchment wrap, so much nicer presentation that a cupcake liner. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delicious. Sooo glad Fall is near if not for the crisp days but also for recipes like these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really excited about autumn and those cupcakes totally tickle my fancy right now. Happy Tuesday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. those look so amazing!!

    www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Fall is definitely in the air. I love how you used the parchment paper as the liner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muffins are my second love after my boyfriend Kamil :D
    These look amazing. XO Kasia B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh heavenly happiness it's pumpkin season! i made pumpkin scones this week and the house smelled wonderful. can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so yummy! And yes, I totally agree... Once it hits September 1, I break out the pumpkin, the boots, everything autumn :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. bit too much like summer here at the moment-but these look sso good-they are now bookmarked

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect for a fall breakfast with a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. See, I'm one of those people who clings to summer, even as it starts to get cold. That having been said, I might make an exception for pumpkin muffins, especially if they come in such a cute parchment wrapper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i made them the other day-will link back to your recipe on my blog-they worked really well-tasty!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips