Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I Heart Amaretto Mousse and Chocolate Wafers


This amaretto mousse recipe has been made in my family for years. It's so light and silky, and the flavor is smile-inducing. It would make a nice Valentine's Day dessert if you're into that kind of thing. The amaretto flavor goes perfectly with chocolate, so I made a batch of these wafers and shaped them into hearts to provide a little contrast, crunch and cuteness

Be warned, the mousse does contain raw eggs so be sure to buy eggs labeled pasteurized or do it yourself at home. Nothing says romance like salmonella prevention.

Amaretto Mousse
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
4 eggs, room temperature

Melt 1/4 cup of butter in small saucepan (or microwave). Stir in cocoa powder. Set aside. Cream 1 cup butter with sugar and amaretto in large bowl of electric mixer. Gradually beat in cocoa mixture. Add eggs one at a time, beating until sugar is completely dissolved, at least 3 minutes per egg. (This is key. It gets rid of the graininess of the sugar and makes the mousse light and fluffy.)  Divide mixture into ramekins or cups. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours or overnight. Serves 6 to 8.

10 comments:

  1. Mmmm, these look so delicious! I love that you made them into hearts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh! this looks so so delicious!!

    www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just became my Valentine's Day plans :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! Such a romantic dessert. An Amaretto Chocolate Mousse was part of the Southern Living Valentine's Day menu where I found the inspiration for my Chicken Breasts with Champagne Sauce recipe. I tried making the Amaretto Mousse then, and loved it, but I haven't made it in many years. Thanks for the reminder and for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love an elegant dessert that's a cinch to make. Score! Thanks for sharing this mousse recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I. Cannot. Wait. To. Make This. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Checked out the chocolate wafer recipe.... they show them rolled. How did you get the cute heart shapes?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips